Episode 26 of The Sailing Podcast is an interview with the ActiveCaptain software designer and long term cruiser Jeff Siegel. Jeff spoke to me from aboard his vessel ‘aCappella’ which is a DeFever 53. He is cruising along with his wife Karen and their 2 Labrador Retrievers Dyna and Dylan.
You may have heard of, or be a current user of ActiveCaptain, but either way you will enjoy listening to this interview where Jeff shares his passion and story about ‘ActiveCaptain’.
We also get to hear about
- the many charting applications that are currently accessing the API for ActiveCaptain
- how you can contribute to the project by simply adding information about your local area
- Jeff and Karen’s regular newsletter with information about Active Captain and other technology news
- Jeff and Karen’s plans to head around ‘The Great Loop’
Click on the media player below to listen
If you would like to contribute to, or start using ‘ActiveCaptain’ the first place to head to is the ActiveCaptain website at www.activecaptain.com. Once you are signed up, you will have the benefit of receiving regular newsletters.
Once you get there, create an account, confirm your account via email and then you are up and running. The ActiveCaptain site relies on user generated data to provide the most current cruising information available. You can easily contribute by adding what you know about your local area.
Another great place to learn about ActiveCaptain and find out answers to Frequently Asked Questions is to visit their forums which are hosted at the Seven Seas Cruising Association site – Click here to visit the forums
Some other sites mentioned in the interview:
- Talking Paws – Jeff and Karen’s blog about traveling with pets – www.talkingpaws.com
- The ActiveCaptain Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/groups/activecaptain
- Zero to Cruising – with Mike and Rebecca – www.zerotocruising.com
- Interview from episode 25 – http://thesailingpodcast.com/zerotocruising
- Weather Underground and in particular their sailing and boating section – http://www.wunderground.com/sailing-weather (I definitely need check this out!)
Check out the YouTube video below of the Companion Software in action:
And lastly, thank you to everyone for coming to visit the site and downloading the podcast. I really appreciate the feedback and if you have the time please go to iTunes and leave a rating for The Sailing Podcast as this will help other listeners who are interested in sailing to find the show
Thank you for joining us on our journey
Share this with your friends!