Episode 28 of The Sailing Podcast is an interview with Lois Hofmann who took off sailing with her husband Gunter after a 35 year career in marketing and management. This journey ended up as an 8 year circumnavigation which took in 62 countries as they traveled on their Catana 43′ catamaran ‘Pacific Bliss’.
Lois and Gunter joined Mahina Expeditions with John and Amanda Neal (see episode 27) for a sail training voyage from Rarotonga to American Samoa just prior to beginning their own circumnavigation voyage and this is where we begin our interview.
We also hear about:
- Lois’ books about their journey
- Maiden Voyage and
- Sailing the South Pacific
- Why they chose the Catana 43′ and decided to pick it up in France
- What it was like traveling through the Red Sea
- Why they enjoyed traveling to the ‘Banks Islands’ in Vanuatu
Show notes for Sailing the South Pacific
Lois Hofmann contacted me after hearing the interview we conducted with John Neal and Amanda Swan Neal of Mahina Expeditions.
Lois has been writing about her adventures and has completed 2 books about their 8 year circumnavigation aboard ‘Pacific Bliss’ and is still currently working on the third book – ‘The Long Way Back’ which will continue the voyage from Bundaburg back to France. Her current book is “Sailing the South Pacific”.
Lois’ books can be found at Amazon and shipped via Amazon throughout the United States.
Here are links to the two books written by the “award winning” writer Lois Hofmann:
Sailing the South Pacific
For overseas orders of the books the best way to purchase them is directly from the Lois Hofmann website – www.loisjoyhofmann.com – and go to the products page to fill out your order. You can then click on the Buy Now PayPal button for international and it will go to the international shipping section. The “shipping department” (Gunter) will personally ship it to you.
During the interview we were talking about favorite places from the trip and Lois told us of a picture from Atutaki in the Cook Islands – here is that beautiful photo:
We also got to hear about the other places that you can catch up with Lois Hofmann and here are a list of places to find them:
- www.loisjoyhofmann.com – the central hub for all of Lois’ online activities
- You can find Lois on Twitter – @sailorstales
- www.youtube.com/user/LoisSailorsTales – for videos uploaded by Lois
- Her personal blog is at www.sailorstales.wordpress.com
We also mention the website that Lois and Gunter were using as they sailed their Catana catamaran “Pacific Bliss”
- this was the original journal of their travels
- includes contributions by Gunter with his ‘Messing with boats’ series
- this website will also link you to the location of the current owners
Here is the recently uploaded video with dancers from Easter Island:
At the start of the interview Lois mentioned planning their trip using Jimmy Cornells book – World Cruising Routes. This is a great place to start if you are looking to see what routes are recommended at certain time of year and what the prevailing winds are likely to be as well as estimated sailing times and distances:
World Cruising Routes
Here are some more pictures from their journey:
Thank you for joining us on our journey
by David Anderson
Share Sailing the South Pacific with your friends